In some ways these two projects were no different. I still needed to build a GUI and hook up the connection BUT, this time I wrote the back-end code in Python to deal with hardware through an I/O interface.
It's just a bit more satisfying when you see a physical thing affect or be affected by code...Not sure why.
There is an undeniable ego boost when I get to install the tool and people on the floor get to use it.
The first project was the Wingstack. I forget how many times a year, but it's more than three, we have a major order of filters that need to be packaged and sent out.
The interface uses a Chromium browser in Kiosk mode. This allows the program to take advantage of decent graphics. It's not "fast" but I have found it to be at least as fast as Tkinter or WXPython and I can, "for the most part" use CSS transitions and canvas. The challenge is sucking out as much performance as possible.
I was initially using Apache with Python but that was ... unreliable. For the Wingstack, as of this article, I am using PHP and simply writing to a SQLLite database.
I hate this idea...For the Squid and in the future I think I will use Python as a simple server taking in and exporting JSON.
I'll simply start the server in the Raspberry startup script along with Chromium in Kiosk mode.